In 2014, the Health Funders Partnership of Orange County launched a unique partnership with the Coalition of Orange County Community Health Centers and the University of California, Irvine School of Medicine and its Susan Samueli Center for Integrative Medicine to transform Orange County’s health care safety net to a system that is focused on creating health and wellness for individuals, families and communities with the ultimate goal of improving population health and wellness focused on its community health centers and clinics.
This comprehensive initiative aims to transform the culture, practice and care delivery models of participating
clinics serving the underserved from a disease-based management model to a sustainable integrated
health approach centered on creating a true community of health and wellness.
To create an Orange County Integrative Medicine Center of Excellence (hub/spoke model)
for capacity, knowledge and skill building in community healthcare centers.
Improve knowledge and skills for Physician and Mid-Level Providers:
- Knowledge of Foundations of Health of Wellness
- Knowledge and Skills in Integrative Modalities applicable for primary care problems
- Communication skills for Healthy Lifestyle Change: Motivational Interviewing, Health Coaching
- Skills and Knowledge needed for Facilitation of Group Visits
Improve knowledge and skills of Clinic Staff:
- Basic level Knowledge of Foundations of Health and Wellness
- Basic level Knowledge of Integrative Modalities topics
- Experiential – wellness lunch and learn sessions to increase understanding and individual wellness practices
Increase access to Integrative resources and ancillary providers currently not accessible to economically disadvantaged communities by:
- Building capacity at the clinic to offer the resource themselves. This would include Health Scholar Student volunteer program – per UCI FHC model.
- Bring modalities/allied practitioners on site to the clinic (and therefore shared between several clinics)
- Offer modalities at the central “hub” site of Samueli or FHC Santa Ana for patients to be referred to.
Offer Integrative Health services such as:
- Group Medical Visits (combining traditional patient education with Integrative information)
- Group Classes
- Group Treatment
- Individual therapy or treatment: Paired Visits with Clinic Billing Provider or Separate
- Other Shared Resources
The Initiative is engaging and supporting Orange County community health centers and clinics in a collaborative learning and implementation process:
- Center for Comprehensive Care & Diagnosis of Inherited Blood Disorders (CIBD)
- Children’s Hospital of Orange County, Orange Primary Care Clinic
- North OC Regional Health Foundation
- Serve the People Community Health Center
- Vietnamese Community of Orange County, Inc.
Opportunities will be available in the future for additional healthcare centers to participate.
The following organizations play a critical role in implementing this initiative:
Gerald SolomonExecutive Director, Samueli Foundation
Mona ShahProgram Director, Health Funders Partnership of Orange County
Laurie MacaulayAssociate Director, Susan Samueli Center for Integrative Medicine
Isabel BecerraCEO Coalition of Orange County Community Health Centers
Ana UrzuaCampaign Coordinator, Santa Ana Building Healthy Communities
David Kilgore, MD, UCIDirector, Integrative Medicine Track - UC Irvine School of Medicine Family Medicine Residency
Cheryl MeronkDirector, Strategic Development CalOptima
Ilia RolonHealth Policy and Programs Director, Children and Families Commission of Orange County
Michelle FreemanProgram Officer with the Samueli Foundation
Rhonda M. SmithCEO Breast Cancer Partner
The Initiative is supported by multiple funders who believe that supporting clinics in this change process is critical to transforming how health care is delivered to the underserved and improving health outcomes across Orange County. We are grateful to the following funders for their generous support of this Initiative: